Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Very First Goth Song?

80s Forum: The Very First Goth Song?

The Very First Goth Song?

I was talking about this with some friends over the weekend. We do not yet have an answer. Nor do we really want one.

What do you think?

I'm inclined to go with any one of a few tracks from the Rolling Stones. Not sure which but I think probably Paint It Black or maybe 2000 Light Years From Home.

Some other ideas that tossed around:

The End - The Doors
    Eleanor Rigby - Beatles
    All Along The Watch Tower - Bob Dylan

We also toyed with the idea that it may have even been a Kurt Weill song from long ago. Possibly something like Mack The Knife or Moon Of Alabama (definitely the old stage versions not the Bobby Darrin and Doors versions). But I personally think these were more an influence on what would become Goth, not really Goth songs.
    Boom! Boom!
    Waaahahahahaha!

wavemaster is offline David Hasselhoff reunited Germany in '89
    I think that another runners for 'goth-prototype' songs are Alex Harveys "Faith Healer" and "Sebastian" by Cockney Rebel.

Well, you could also add Gregorian Chants to the influences...

Proud GERMAN member of the "OVE" Club

How about Alice Cooper's "Dead Babies" or maybe "I love the Dead" Actually alot of Alices early work could be considered a forrunner or goth.
    "I'm just a guy who likes to Rock-N-Roll,I'm just a guy who likes to get drunk,I'm just a guy who likes to dress punk,get my kicks and live my life."-Joey Ramone

The very first song on the very first Black Sabbath record (released Friday, February 13, 1970) sounds like absolutely nothing I've ever heard which was released earlier than that.

Well I would say possibly Black Sabbath also. Those first songs were pretty dark. The Doors also...they were ahead of their time. Songs like "The End" and "Riders Of The Storm".

What a great topic. I'm leaning toward the Doors myself. The aesthetic was definitely going toward a Goth sensibility, not that you can really pin that down in a sentence or two.
    Mary
    Jelly shoe-wearin', Jolt-drinking, cartoon mama

I'm going to pitch wildly from extreme left field. "Is That All There Is" by Peggy Lee has always seemed, to me, a likely progenitor in the Goth family tree. Yes, it's rather tame these days, but very dark in comparison with the treacle that was being released at that time. The Pharaohs' "Little Red Riding Hood" might be a distant second on my list. However, unlike "Is That All There Is", this came out so much later along the cultural revolution timeline, it blended into the surroundings a great deal more.

TV Diva

Great choice tvdiva! I love "Is That All There Is?" Have you heard PJ Harvey's version? It's great.

As for the first goth song? Maybe a Leonard Cohen number, like "The Master Song"
    "Never eat more than you can lift"
    -Miss Piggy

Originally posted by Belladonna
    Great choice tvdiva! I love "Is That All There Is?" Have you heard PJ Harvey's version? It's great.
    I haven't heard this song in YEARS!! I completely forgot about it. I must dl this one ASAP.

Definitely a good vote for first "goth" song!
    "ask me i won't say no, how could i?"

Great question, Bogie

But for me, the first goth band is Bauhaus. There were prob earlier ones, but to me, they are Goth, and the first pure memories I have of it.

(wonder what Jim Morrison would think about what was said. He'd prob be glad, but I always saw him identifying with the Native American feel more.) (just my HO.)

Doot doot doot.

Bonsoir madame. Nice to see you around here.

*stalk* *stalk*

I won't take it personally that you seem to be moving further, and further, away from me. lol
    Boom! Boom!
    Waaahahahahaha!

I just found my favorite version of "Is that all there is"! I'm so excited. I've been looking for this forever and I only have it on a cassette tape that my friend made for me 8 years ago. It's by Cristina. If you like the other versions, you MUST download this one.
    "ask me i won't say no, how could i?"

Originally posted by Bogie
    Doot doot doot.

Bonsoir madame. Nice to see you around here.

*stalk* *stalk*

I won't take it personally that you seem to be moving further, and further, away from me. lol
    I'm stalking you now.
    Bogie, you're going to make me teary-eyed again. I belong in the west; you should compare the different coasts in the U.S...mind boggling as far as the people. Bogie, we need to drink together, so come down here and visit anytime..!

Originally posted by xistenza
    I just found my favorite version of "Is that all there is"! I'm so excited. I've been looking for this forever and I only have it on a cassette tape that my friend made for me 8 years ago. It's by Cristina. If you like the other versions, you MUST download this one.
    Hey X. I have a Die Haut album (can't remember the name) that has heaps of guest vocalists - Debbie Harry, Kim Gordon, Lydia Lunch etc.Also a track with vocals credited to "Cristina". I'm assuming this is the same person. Do you (or anyone for that matter) know anything about her? I've actually wondered about that for ages. Looks like I'll have to get dling!
    "Never eat more than you can lift"
    -Miss Piggy

Originally posted by Vilji
    Bogie, we need to drink together, so come down here and visit anytime..!
    Don't know where
    Don't know when.

But one day you're gonna have to keep up with me in the pub....lol
    Boom! Boom!
    Waaahahahahaha!

Re: The Very First Goth Song?

How about "Too Much to Dream Last Night" by The Electric Prunes.

I couldn't find an exact month but it was recorded in late 1966.

Re: The Very First Goth Song?

Velvet Underground-"Venus in Furs"

Because I don't know what this sounded like in 1965, I'd be hesitant to call it a Goth song at that time. But I think the finished product has enough elements to it to be considered Goth. According to the info on Wiki, the finished product seems to be credited to 1970, but the song was not officially released until 1995 in a box set.

Thread Information