Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite 80s New Wave Song: - Page 3

80s Forum: Favorite 80s New Wave Song:

View Poll Results: Which 80s New Wave Hit Do You Like the Most?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • "I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls

30 16.30%
  • "Kids In America" by Kim Wilde

15 8.15%
  • "I Melt With You" by Modern English

31 16.85%
  • "It's My Life" by Talk Talk

27 14.67%
  • "Look of Love" by ABC

12 6.52%
  • "Only You" by Yaz

11 5.98%
  • "I Just Can't Get Enough" by Depeche Mode

21 11.41%
  • "We Got the Beat" by The Go-Go's

6 3.26%
  • "Planet Earth" by Duran Duran

27 14.67%
  • "Goody Two Shoes" by Adam Ant

4 2.17%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Florida locale

Tampa Bay area,Indian Rocks beach just south of Clearwater.

CCOL BREEZE
    Last edited by COOL BREEZE; 2-25-02 at 05:06 PM.
    "He knew then and there the friendship they had shared since youth had died a sudden and tragic death.Destroyed by the love of a woman"
    "There can't be a winner! If there isn't a river!
    "What are we waiting for? "Just a few indecent thoughts....okay!"

Only You by Yaz got my vote. Upstairs at Erics is one of my all time favorite CD's. I'll have to find the version by the Flying Pickets that tvdiva mentioned.
    It looks like I just put "Only you" and "Kids in america" in a tie.
    For what it's worth, "Kids in america" is one of my karaoke songs that I sing.

Smile

I always find these poll results quite fascinating. Most of the time, the songs that were a group's biggest hit are not selected (in overall votes) as the favorite. Very interesting...
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

I just can't get enough of Depeche Mode. It's a good dance song and I will never be tired of it.

I hope you see this Flix.
    ((-Sara-))

((-Stalked By The Sweet And Charming Roemello-))
    ((-Stalking The French Cutie Boy TGND-))

It's My Life
    I'm on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jeffsteele
    And now, I'm on Twitter as well: https://twitter.com/JeffSteele39042

35 years of
    THE TRANSFORMERS
    1984-2019

I chose "It's My Life" by Talk Talk, because as a Talk Talk fan I had to pick it. Seriously, this was the very first song by Talk Talk I ever heard. And I've been a fan of theirs for about 18 years.

Originally posted by COOL BREEZE
    ALTHOUGH "I RAN" IS GREAT AND I LOVE "MELT WITH YOU" IT WAS TUFF BUT I WENT WITH ABC'S "LOOK OF LOVE" IF YOUR A MUSCIAN LIKE I AM YOU'VE GOT TO LOVE THE PRODUCTION ON THIS ONE! THERE'S SOME SERIOUS SH*T GOING ON IN THIS SONG! OTHER FAVORITES NOT LISTED(SO MANY GREAT ONES)
    BERLIN"METRO",BUGGLES"VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR",ROMEO VOID"NEVER SAY NEVER,CURE"FRIDAY I'M IN LOVE",MEN AT WORK" BE GOOD JOHNNY, AND "BOW WOW WOW"I WANT CANDY" TO NAME A FEW!

COOL BREEZE

"FACE IT YOU F*@KED UP...YOU TRUSTED US!"
    I still remember Martin Fry's description of the video for, "The Look of Love". He said it was a mix between "An American in Paris" and Benny Hill.

Smile

Originally posted by BlueMolly2001
    I chose "It's My Life" by Talk Talk, because as a Talk Talk fan I had to pick it. Seriously, this was the very first song by Talk Talk I ever heard. And I've been a fan of theirs for about 18 years.
    Molly, it looks like your vote put Talk Talk's "It's My Life" in the lead as the favorite New Wave tune of the 80s!!!

I had to vote against Depeche Mode on this one. Just can't get enough is overplayed and overrated as a DM track. I went with ABC's Look Of Love. The voice of Martin Fry and the strings of Anne Dudley...yes please

Flix betraying Depeche Mode! I never thought I'd see the day. What is the world coming to!?!?!

Glad to see you back here Flix. Missed you TONS!! **HUGS**
    "ask me i won't say no, how could i?"

Originally posted by xistenza
    Flix betraying Depeche Mode! I never thought I'd see the day. What is the world coming to!?!?!

Glad to see you back here Flix. Missed you TONS!! **HUGS**
    Thank you, Sweetay! *HUGS* back at cha.

Can I change my vote?? I feel guilty now.

Tired criticisms...

This is in defense of Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough", which is a song I really like.

I'm so sick of hearing people use the same tired criticisms. "Too saccharine"..."too commercial"...my God geta grip we are discussing 80s music. It's supposed to be "saccharine" and "Commercial"...it was the EIGHTIES, for God's sake.

What does that even mean, "too saccharine"? As in "too nice"? "Too sweet"? If so, I say good. Depeche Mode got all depressing, all "Serious", and pretentious, far too quickly. Thankfully, they have this one great, happy, upbeat and positive song.

Too "commerical"? You mean its a song the average person might actually like, as opposed to the strictly snobbish goth-like people who buy their new stuff? Again, good!

It's like comparing Madonna's "Like A Virgin" to "Justify My Love". One may be more artsy, serious, and deep. One might be "saccharine" and "commerical", but if Justify My Love had been her first song, would her career have gone anywhere? And, does the average person on the street like Justify, or Virgin?

Anyhoo, if you're going to criticize someone, at least use arguments that are fresh and new. Don't dump all over something because it's upbeat & happy, or because it's popular.

Personally, "Just Can't Get Enough" is the only Depeche Mode song on my MP3 playlist.

-Chuck

In response to chuck's post

I think "Just Can't Get Enough" is an excellent DM track. It's always been a favorite of mine, although, I have to agree that I sometimes do get tired of hearing it so often (from the radio or a club or The Gap commericial). My opinion of the song will never change, but sometimes I know even I have to put a track to rest for a while before I can enjoy it as much as I want to.

In fact, there are certain songs that I love, but make a point not to "overlisten" to them because I never want to get sick of them. Make sense? Maybe I'm just crazy.
    "ask me i won't say no, how could i?"

Re: Tired criticisms...

Originally posted by Chuck
    This is in defense of Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough", which is a song I really like.

I'm so sick of hearing people use the same tired criticisms. "Too saccharine"..."too commercial"...my God geta grip we are discussing 80s music. It's supposed to be "saccharine" and "Commercial"...it was the EIGHTIES, for God's sake.

Too "commerical"? You mean its a song the average person might actually like, as opposed to the strictly snobbish goth-like people who buy their new stuff? Again, good!

Anyhoo, if you're going to criticize someone, at least use arguments that are fresh and new. Don't dump all over something because it's upbeat & happy, or because it's popular.

-Chuck
    I'm sorry that our opinions can make you feel so sick. I'm one of the persons who thinks that "just can't get enough" is too commercial. I have all the "study" albums of Depeche Mode and also some live one; I like its music and all kind of music that sounds like DM (f.e., Camouflage). I don't think I'm a snob. I'm not saying is a bad song, but I don't like it specially, and it's not because "is popular" (more popular was "Personal Jesus", and I love it) and even less for being "upbeat & happy". I grab my own compilation Cds, and when I heard this song I'm always tempted of skip it and go directly to the next one. Take all the albums of DM and look for and adjective for the first one; for me is just "commercial", is not for you?. And I'm not discussing if that was necessary or not, or wondering about what would have happened to the band if their first album had not been commercial!. Do I enjoy that song for these reasons?.
    I know that a lot of people loves this song, including some people who has more or less the same taste in music as me. But when I say somethig I'm thinking that the rest of the people will accept my opinion as it is, in the same way I accept someone else's opinions. In another thread someone said that didn't like the whole album "Exciter": I don't agree, but... OK, is just an opinion!.
    BTW, I don't agree with you that 80s music is supposed to be commercial...
    "If you're going to criticize someone, at least use arguments that are fresh and new". Uh.. .look at you own criticisms against criticisms...
    I miss you, Xistenza

Can't for any. For me, my fave New Wave song has *got* to be Love Missile F1-11 by Sigue Sigue Sputnik. Something about that band and that song I always liked.

Smile

I always find these poll results to be an interesting study. What surprises me about this poll is that no one voted for the Go-Gos!!!

Cool

I never really considered them to be new wave....always figured them to be pop. That's my excuse

First post and First Vote

This is my first post ever in any message board here. (Just signed up a few minutes ago) My vote would be It's my Life by TalkTalk. I am a big DM fan but Just Can't Get Enought is not one of their best work iin my opinion, admittedly though it's one of their bigger hits.

Duckman

Exclamation

Now we're talkin' some real music! When I was a lad, top 40 was what I would call music. If Casey Kasem was playing it, I was listening. A few songs intriqued me though, Cars by Gary Numan and Pop Muzik by M and naturally enough, Devo's Whip It. I didn't really get seriously into new wave until High School when everybody and I mean EVERYBODY was into Van Halen. I couldn't see it. I tried to listen to them and couldn't do it. But I was really into Ultravox and the Thompson Twins and the English Beat and Der kommisar by After the Fire. So then, our cable system comes across with the MTV and Bang! I'm gone. I try to suck up like, everything. How could music be this cool? Our new wave station in San Diego was 91X - I listened all the time. Ahhh, good times!
    "Two Dollars!"

Smile

It looks as if the Fave New Wave Hit poll is the tightest race yet, with so many votes and five songs vying for the top title!!! Looks like we have a tie in this one!!!

In relation to this poll, I gotta go with "Look of Love". I bought the Lexicon of Love album a number of years back and I thought it was brilliant. I loved them ever since I heard the song "How to be a Millionaire"

Good Poll!
    http://proudfootband.ie/ - PROUDFOOT Soul and Funk Band!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information