Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

When Did The 80s End? - Page 2

80s Forum: When Did The 80s End?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: She would LOVE it here!

Originally posted by CinderGirl

I don't know if I could completely leave YL, though I do believe I'll be finding myself here a LOT more often. This place kicks much @ss!

I think that if we bring her by and show her around, she may just decide to give it a chance. ((At least, I hope so))

To answer you q, BC: For me, the 80s died around '91, when the hair bands were layed to rest (I miss them!) and grunge took over the airwaves. Things really began to change around that time, with the clothes and the music...everything.
    I had a Hit Parader magazine from early 1992. Two of the featured bands were Trixter and Valentine. Now, Trixter kind of defied classification, as they really weren't hair metal, but they definitely weren't grunge, because thier plaid flannel gear was clean and their music was upbeat. But Valentine was hair metal all the way. That genre didn't die easily.
    ~~Stalking SouthernImage~~

You do not let your eyes see, nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Do you not think that there are things which you cannot undersand and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot? -- Abraham Van Helsing

I think 1992-93. In 1993 were almost dead, but still a few bands keep making the same kind of music -although the "fashion" was definitely obsolete. In the other hand, I think 80s started in 1978-79... the first Police releases, Buggles... do you remember "living in the plastic age"?
    Originally posted by JS Steele Technically, I'd say on December 31, 1989
    Spiritually, I'd say 80s have not ended yet...
    I miss you, Xistenza

I'd have to say around '87 like mrmiata and djdaffy. I wasn't into the hair metal bands so much, and new wave had died out and merged into pop, so this was the end for me! Oh, but it's still alive in my heart, home and the 80sxchange!!
    Trixter

The 80s ended ???

...and when did this happen, if I may ask ?
    I just thought it was in a slump @ the moment

Seriously, I'll tag along that Grunge-theory..."Naaaah everything is like sooooo boring you know...." WAKE UP GODAMMIT!!! This is your life so live, don't hang around listening to songs about how much life and love stinks...I never understood how anybody could look at life like that

I had such a blast in the 90s It was one loooong joyride for me I guess the 80s never really ended for me
    Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the 80s over the 90s, this was the decade of so many exiting discoveries for me...And there's that whole selective-memory thing too
    Currently hanging out at RomShare

Cool

Same here Smurf....I had a great time in the 90's as well, but the 80's feel and magic of that decade...I think that distinctive essence closed out in 1991....maybe a little of '92, but not too much.

Re: The 80s ended ???

Originally posted by 80sSmurf
    ...and when did this happen, if I may ask ?
    I just thought it was in a slump @ the moment

Seriously, I'll tag along that Grunge-theory..."Naaaah everything is like sooooo boring you know...." WAKE UP GODAMMIT!!! This is your life so live, don't hang around listening to songs about how much life and love stinks...I never understood how anybody could look at life like that

I had such a blast in the 90s It was one loooong joyride for me I guess the 80s never really ended for me
    Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the 80s over the 90s, this was the decade of so many exiting discoveries for me...And there's that whole selective-memory thing too
    A man after my own heart!!!!!!!

You do not let your eyes see, nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Do you not think that there are things which you cannot undersand and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot? -- Abraham Van Helsing

OK here's the scoop!!. The period between 1987(when the 80's began to end) and 1992(when the 80's were completely gone was the phase out period. So all in all I feel that pretty much everybody has hit this one on the head.

But witH the possiblity of sounding corny I almost feel like a Jedi:

BECAUSE THE 80'S WILL ALWAYS BE WITH US, IT HAS BECOME A STATE OF MIND!!

I agree with the replies that the 80s ended in the early 1990s (more specifically 1992). The grunge look became popular, 8-bit video game consoles where a thing of the past, and cars were beginning to have roundish shapes and finally started receiving plenty of horsepower, reduced during the gas crunch.

Originally posted by Polar Bear Jeff
    I agree with the replies that the 80s ended in the early 1990s (more specifically 1992). The grunge look became popular, 8-bit video game consoles where a thing of the past, and cars were beginning to have roundish shapes and finally started receiving plenty of horsepower, reduced during the gas crunch.
    Maybe the fact that 80s cars sucked is the reason that all the cool people in the 80s drove cars from the 60s and 70s, ya think?

Originally posted by idexpectnoless
    BECAUSE THE 80'S WILL ALWAYS BE WITH US, IT HAS BECOME A STATE OF MIND!!
    I like that And it definitely has some truth to it...If Vegan, Punk etc can be a state of mind, I say so can the 80s....

Just look @ the members on this board, that's a whoppin' 2.400+ and they visit the shrine...erh...Xchange every day (well almost), for a lot of these good folks I'm sure the 80s is a state of mind
    Currently hanging out at RomShare

Shakey is offline Content to be in the Matrix!
    Originally posted by Benjamin Calypso
    Maybe the fact that 80s cars sucked is the reason that all the cool people in the 80s drove cars from the 60s and 70s, ya think?
    Can't see that. The '81 Z28 was a smooth machine.
    - Shakey

"If I'm here and you're here, then doesn't that make it our time? - Jeff Spicoli, 1982

Guys !! Guys !!! Guys !!!

You've got it all so horribly wrong !!! The 80s ended precisely midnight Dec 31, 1989 - a Sunday night. In the final four months of that year we had communist governments of Eastern Europe topple in Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, East Germany and Romania - by the end of the decade that left only Albania - isolated in Eastern Europe. Her turn came in May 1991 with Ethiopia and the BIG ONE the Soviet Union at the end of 1991. Apart from the laggers, the 80s ended December 1989. Where were you???? Can you remember ?? I might start a new thread.

Originally posted by Shakey

Can't see that. The '81 Z28 was a smooth machine.
    The exception that proves the rule.

hmmm.... for me I think they ended in June of 1988. Right after I graduated.
    ...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things."

Have you hugged your penguin today?

Smile well.....

i was only like 7 when the 80s officially ended so i kinda relived them up until this very second! i still listen to 80s music, wear 80s style clothes and go to clubs that are completely in a time warp!

I've always thought of the 80's as 3 subtle pop-culture phases: early (80 - 83) featuring the death of disco and the rise of new wave; mid (83-86) featuring the growth of pop & hard rock, not to mention the loss of my virginity and the late (87-89) with the hair metal ruling and hip-hop rising.

I agree that the late 80's afterglow did not really wear off until around 92 or so.
    nolanbuc - the Commish
    "Hijacking threads and beating dead horses since 2001"

World Fantasy Sports - Official Home of the World Fantasy Football League.

wavemaster is offline David Hasselhoff reunited Germany in '89

Not at this sharp point mentioned by BishBud (although, heīs right in the technically sense ), but with all the revolutions and changes which took place within one year, yep, itīs 1990 for me.

Musically...all of a sudden, Techno (or Tekkno, as this style was called in the beginning) swept nearly everything else away, followed by Alternative and a "second wave of Punk" (Green Day, Offspring etc.). I wouldnīt had minded it, but the Yuppies of the 80s had become the greedy bastards of the 90s (and they had obviously taken over in the music biz ), and wherever you went, it was either "1,2,3, Techno", "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Basket Case".
    Even the radio had become a unique mass of the same songs every day. The good thing was for me that a strong underground scene had formed, so I didnīt had to suffer from Synthpop-withdrawals for too long.

Economically...well, "inheriting" the GDR the way it happened wasnīt the cleverest idea, to put it mildly. Germany is still choking on that chunk - you canīt correct 40 years of ruining a country with a handswipe, and that chunk will take some decades (!) more to be swallowed. Besides, since politics had been depraved to nothing more than self-fullfilments for power-hungry liars...Iīm leaving here.

Technologically...I have to admit that the 90s was the best decade so far.
    We had made some quantum leaps, although thereīs always this small voice in my head saying "...to which point will us lead this?". Yeah, now weīre talking about GHz-processors, high speed connections and stuff...but we are also talking about a new SDI and kids who are still dying because of starvation.
    I hope you get what Iīm trying to express here.

Iīm not whining because the 80s are gone...but Iīm missing them like heck, okay?

Proud GERMAN member of the "OVE" Club

Dude??? The 80's are OVER? Thanks for popping my bubble, buddy. I'm taking my Paula Abdul cassette and going home.

June 21st 1983, when I openned my report card and saw I got a 51 in math, ensuring i had enough credits to graduate high school and enter the real world.

Seriously I had never thought about it, but It seems to me there is a big difference between the early 80's and the late 80's. I'd say my 80's ended around 88 -89. yhe precise minute it ended, was the first time i heard Salt N Pepa's Push It
    Last edited by Caligula; 3-24-02 at 09:14 AM.
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Originally posted by HayBayMom@->----
    Dude??? The 80's are OVER? Thanks for popping my bubble, buddy. I'm taking my Paula Abdul cassette and going home.
    Just as long as you leave the Lisa Loeb CD, so I can fantasize about you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information