Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Political Correctness.....Yuk!

80s Forum: Political Correctness.....Yuk!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Political Correctness.....Yuk!

When do you believe the "PC" wave that has shrouded our society really came to fruition?

It seems that political correctness, for the sake of itself, has really permeated every level of our culture. From frivolous law suits (who can forget the famous Mcdonald's hot coffee fiasco?), to inaccurate portrayals of society on TV - it just seems to gotten out of hand.
    Cartoons and toys that I grew up with in the 80s would now be deemed "unsafe" or "inappropriate" for today's children. Parental responsibility also seems to be a thing of the distant past, as society seems to be to blame for any abberant behavior displayed by today's youth.

I guess my question is: "When did this all come to pass?"
    Chris Sheffield
    Owner/Administrator
    http://80sAlive.com

Smile

I would say PC reared its ugly head in the late-80s but really began taking control of the world by 1991/92. It's been downhill ever since...
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Hey! What's up buddy?

Yeah, I can see that. I guess this would be a nice addendum to the "When did the 80s end" thread, being that there seems to be a correllation!
    Chris Sheffield
    Owner/Administrator

Smile

Hey, Chris! I'm doing fine! Just checked out your site again and it looks fantastic!!!

I think you're right about PC taking over and ending the 80s for sure! To think, we might still be living in an 80s kinda world if it wasn't for wretched Political Correctness!!!
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Ya know, I think that all of this PC crap is just that. I don't like having to sensor myself on what I am thinking, just because someone around me is unable to take what comes out of my mouth. Yea, maybe I talk without thinking sometimes, but that is my right to do so. Everything is so GD PC now, it makes me sick. And as for parents not taking responsibility for the actions of their kids and blaming society, HELLO! Wake up! YOU had the child, YOU are paying for the food and clothes, YOU are raising the child with YOUR morals and values, don't you DARE blame me when YOUR child goes wild!! I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

When I have children, I understand that it is ALL MY FAULT if something goes wrong. I will be the one that will be responsible. Is it just me, or has that also gotten lost in parenting 101? (Where is Dr. Spock when you need him?!?!?)

Michael: Thanks for the kind words!

DD86: I am glad to see that I am not alone in my frustration!

One story that floors me is this:

I have heard that a woman purchased a lamp at Wal-Mart, While she was ignoring her child, it managed to unscrew the lightbulb, stick it's tongue into the socket and burn it's mouth! Now, instead of realizing her own mistake, and having the common sense to understand that -Yes, electrical currents+ children=bad news, she proceeded to sue Wal-Mart, on the grounds that they sold her a product that they knew could have been potentially dangerous, without warning her! Egads!

This is just the sort of thing that has gotten completely out of control.
    Chris Sheffield
    Owner/Administrator

I hate PC almost more than anything. There's alot of other things in America I can't stand, that are much worse though. PC is the reason I want to move out of America but, that's not a good idea, it's not any better anywhere else! And I don't think I could part with what few Liberties I have left.
    -----Officially lost in the 80's with and Stalking the redhead beauty, Christine -----
    | Official Juicey love machine for Mrs. Robinson |
    ||OPC's Twisted Friend in humor||
    ~~Son of the Wonderful, Pam ~~
    /=\ Angel of a Brother to Sheibub and TGND /=\
    *_* Brother in sin and diabolical buddy to Miss Shortie blonde *_*
    "Live free or die!"
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but, whips and chains excite me!"

----The Anti Fashionable-Patriot----

"What is life, but hunger and pain?" - Heathcliff (From Wuthering heights)

*Personally going to Hell in a Handbasket*

Vincent is offline Ba Weep Grana Weep Niny Bong
    Originally posted by 80sAlive.com
    One story that floors me is this:

I have heard that a woman purchased a lamp at Wal-Mart, While she was ignoring her child, it managed to unscrew the lightbulb, stick it's tongue into the socket and burn it's mouth! Now, instead of realizing her own mistake, and having the common sense to understand that -Yes, electrical currents+ children=bad news, she proceeded to sue Wal-Mart, on the grounds that they sold her a product that they knew could have been potentially dangerous, without warning her! Egads!

This is just the sort of thing that has gotten completely out of control.
    First, great to see you Chris!

I visited your site a couple months back when it was still kinda new and made some posts! You got a fantastic site there!! I think we're about the same age, so all the '80s shows you got listed there are exactly the same stuff I loved/grew up with as a child in the '80s!! Lot of '80s fan sites tend to ignore the great shows from the early '80s, but you go them there!! Great, great, site you have and incredible stuff!

About that Wal-Mart lady:

Man that is just pure insanity. The problem is that a lot of people can't win the lottery, so they play the courts as if it's the lottery. She's a greedy woman who is using America's vulnerablity to PC to her advantage.
    Last edited by Vincent; 4-03-02 at 01:38 PM.

I think the PC monster came to fruition in the late 80's, violence on tv, childrens cartoons being monitored, warning labels, etc. Too bad we have to be "that " pc.
    Trixter

Vincent: Hi there, buddy! I remember your posts on my messageboard - you had some insiteful thoughts that I enjoyed reading. Unfortunately, that board didn't get a lot of traffic (strange, since the rest of the site draws a decent amount of visitors) so I just linked to 80sxchange.com for the "forums". Thanks a lot for your compliments. As I have said in other threads, the early-to-mid 80s were truly my favorite years of my favorite decade. That's why so much of the site focuses on subjects related to that time as opposed to the 87-89 era.

Back on the PC subject...

I just think that it is a self-perpetuating monster. Each instance of PC (such as the banning of a certain record, show, etc.) seems to incite a rash of other instances - each trying to outdo the last. It has gotten to the point where common sense and responsibility doesn't even factor into the equation anymore.
    Last edited by 80sAlive.com; 4-03-02 at 10:03 PM.
    Chris Sheffield
    Owner/Administrator

Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange
    PC is definitely way out of control. What was supposed to be a positive thing has become a very negative thing. As well as for the reasons mentioned above, in my opinion it is also resulting in the moral decay of society in general. But I won't go there.

I think it is true that the 80s ended when political correctness started.

What really annoys me is that there are so-called "PC thugs" out there that seem to be dictating what we see on our TV these days. One example are old shows that never seem to get aired any more like "Love thy neighbour" for instance, which was deemed too racist.

One show I have been longing to see after all these years is "BJ McKay & the Bear". I never got to see all the episodes, especially the earlier stuff and it has never once been replayed on New Zealand TV. I believe that it is deemed to Politically Incorrect because BJ seems to be sleeping with a different woman every episode. Sure, maybe it is behavior that shouldn't be encouraged, but why should we not be able to watch a classic show because a minority of people don't think it's appropriate any more?

You are exactly right Recker, it seems to be a minority of people dictating to the rest of society what is acceptable and unacceptable. The ironic part of it all, is that usually, the parties that are supposedly being "protected" by such censorship often couldn't care less! For example, Cartoon Network refuses to air any Warner Bros. cartoons featuring Speedy Gonzalez, because they deem him as negatively stereotyping Mexicans. All well and fine, except for the fact that Speedy Gonzalez is one of the most popular cartoon characters in Mexico! Where do we draw the line? I mean, if you want to split hairs, almost every program on TV could have material that is potentially offensive to someone, somewhere.
    Chris Sheffield
    Owner/Administrator

Vincent is offline Ba Weep Grana Weep Niny Bong
    If you watch a lot of '80s TV shows and movies, you realize how far PC has taken over. Not that I would ever want to be purposefuly hurtful or malicious to any group of people, but too many times PC is taken to unbelievably nauseating levels.

I was watching one of the early A-Team episodes, this scene had Hannibal looking into a woman's compact mirror and B.A. laughingly says, "Coming out of the closet Hannibal?". It's an innocent joke that I think is harmless and unoffensive, and I thought it was funny, but I don't think a joke like that could ever make the airwaves today.

Exclamation

I've had too many relatives toss around the "N" word or friends call everything they don't like "gay" and think nothing of it. That is how PC came about. The intention was to promote respect. Sure, like anything else it has been abused and used to try to stiffle opinion that gives offence to some person or group. And at the same time, anything that offends like say, frivolous lawsuits are tarred with the PC brush. It always easier to paste up a label, or to shout an insult than to consider the other guy's position and think rationally then speak politely.

Maybe someday America will become a civil society and we won't have to worry about such things.
    "Two Dollars!"

Angry

I can relate to the Walmart story. I worked in a store that sold Irons, among other things. This couple came in and let their child run loose around the small store. The child was knocking things over and getting into everything! The child got his hands on one of the irons and found a plug!! The child plugged in the iron, while the parents monopolized the one and only sales clerks time. As you can guess, the child got burned. The parents had the nerve to blame the clerk for not keeping a better eye on THEIR child!!! They dropped a big fat law suit on the store and won!!!!!!
    P.C. is nothing more than the small minority of our population telling the large majority how they will act, talk and believe. If you believe something different they use shame tactics and the threats of law suits. Those who push P.C. do it for no other reason than power. They do not care about "protecting feelings or minority rights!" It is nothing more than a power trip. I say shame on the majority of America for letting this go on! We back down and cower like a whipped dog every time one of these P.C. monsters speak!!! We let them take power and control and now we are getting what we condoned.

Wink

You are exactly right, 80sHair. Though, I would like to go on the record as saying that I fought the PC thing from the start!

It has come to the point where everyone fears the repercussions of not being PC, thus everything, in what amounts to today's pop-culture
    is so toned down, it is very vanilla - lacking the electricity and "oomph" you saw during the 80s.
    Chris Sheffield
    Owner/Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally posted by DD86
    Ya know, I think that all of this PC crap is just that. I don't like having to sensor myself on what I am thinking, just because someone around me is unable to take what comes out of my mouth. Yea, maybe I talk without thinking sometimes, but that is my right to do so. Everything is so GD PC now, it makes me sick. And as for parents not taking responsibility for the actions of their kids and blaming society, HELLO! Wake up! YOU had the child, YOU are paying for the food and clothes, YOU are raising the child with YOUR morals and values, don't you DARE blame me when YOUR child goes wild!! I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

When I have children, I understand that it is ALL MY FAULT if something goes wrong. I will be the one that will be responsible. Is it just me, or has that also gotten lost in parenting 101? (Where is Dr. Spock when you need him?!?!?)
    Amen to that! Everything, but everything, has to be so PC these days and I hate it. I also hate censorship. If someone has something to say, they should feel free to say what they want to say without fear. People are entitled to their opinions and that's something I have always tried to respect. Yet there is always someone willing to come right up behind you to shake their finger in judgement.

I agree and can relate to what everyone else has said so far, too.

If you see something on the tube that you find offensive, turn the channel -- it really isn't that difficult. If you don't like what someone has to say, walk away.
    Stalking Benjamin Calypso & Jughead Jones

Being stalked by Jughead Jones and Benjamin Calypso

Being stalked by PBJ!

HBM's little sis

Hopelessly addicted to horror movies!

Lover of those cheesy 70s and 80s movies, too.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~I wish I was back in the 80s~

Thumbs down

Political correctness is ridiculously out of hand.
    Seems that you can't say anything without brewing controversy these days.

Well I don't know, without those warning on cartoons, I might very well have jumped off a canyon , wearing a pair of acme springs and holding a sign saying yikes while chasing a roadrunner.
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Originally posted by Caligula
    Well I don't know, without those warning on cartoons, I might very well have jumped off a canyon , wearing a pair of acme springs and holding a sign saying yikes while chasing a roadrunner.
    Well said, Caligula! Yeah, I should've read the instructions on the Acme Batman Suit, where it said "Caution: Suit can't make you FLY!" *splat*
    Mary
    Jelly shoe-wearin', Jolt-drinking, cartoon mama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information