Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

John Ritter

80s Forum: John Ritter

Thread: John Ritter

Thumbs up John Ritter

John Ritter
    BORN: September 17, 1948

The son of singing Western stars Tex Ritter and Dorothy Fay, John Ritter (by his own admission) couldn't carry a tune in a wash bucket, so he decided to major in psychology at U.S.C. His involvement in student theatricals prompted Ritter to set his sights on an acting career. He made his film debut in a comic supporting role in Disney's The Barefoot Executive (1971), then established himself as a reliable television performer in the supporting role of the minister on The Waltons (1971-1972). Ritter graduated to TV stardom as pratfall-prone Jack Tripper on the immensely popular situation comedy Three's Company, which ran from 1977 to 1985 (if you count the spin-off series Three's a Crowd) and earned Ritter an Emmy award. The actor's attempts to attain film as well as TV stardom have by and large been unsuccessful, with the exception of the amiable satirical comedy Hero at Large (1980). Ritter's post-Three's Company TV projects have included the 1988 "dramedy" Hooperman and the 1992 politically oriented weekly comedy Hearts Afire (1992). John Ritter has also produced several worthwhile TV movie productions; thus far, his number one unrealized project has been a filmed biography of Fatty Arbuckle, which was to have starred the late John Candy.

(c) All Movie Guide
    Trixter

Smile

I've always enjoyed John Ritter. I think he's a very under-rated actor and he can do drama (Sling Blade, The Others) as well as comedy. I saw a preview where he makes a guest appearance on the NBC sitcom, Scrubs, and it looks quite hilarious. Thanks for posting the bio, Wonder Twin!
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

I agree with 80strivia. I always thought John Ritter was an underated actor. He was in a mini-series called IT, I think. He was good in that among other things.

I enjoyed John Ritter's and also believe he is an underrated actor. I always enjoyed hime as Jack Tripper and that will be the role that he will most likely be known for.
    Entertainment Tonight mentioned the other night that John is working on getting a Three's Company reunion show made. Hopefully that will happen.
    Wally

http://BenatarFanClub.com The Official Fanclub

Vincent is offline Ba Weep Grana Weep Niny Bong
    Originally posted by Sarg
    Entertainment Tonight mentioned the other night that John is working on getting a Three's Company reunion show made. Hopefully that will happen.
    I'd love to see that! Though I think Joyce DeWitt and Suzzane Sommers are still at odds with each other. But I guess they could do a reunion without Chrissy, and just use Terry and Cindy. They have to have Mr. Furley. I'd love it if Suzzane Sommers would be in it though, because she is still just as hot as ever!

I'd agree that John Ritter is an underrated actor. His performance in Sling Blade was supeberb.

I guess you could call this The Seven Steps of John Ritter but I know some relatives of his. My dad used to work with his father's cousin.

I have always enjoyed John Ritter's work also. IT was great and I agree with some of the others on here who posted that he is underrated as an actor. Good topic.

The latest role I've seen (or heard) John Ritter have is as the voice of Clifford the Big Red Dog on PBS. It's kind of weird hearing his voice coming out of a dog.
    STEVE Hangin' with my favorite DJs: DJDaffy & Prefab Sprouter!! Surfer Swooshing buddy to ImSoooSure, the penguin protector I found Harket! He's moved and looking for a new job. He may come back. I hope it's soon! Now listening to DJ LEX

I recently caught John Ritter in a comedy/horror flick where he plays a real estate agent trying to sell homes where murders occurred, very funny!! His best work was "Sling Blade", I was rather surprised to see him in this role, but he took it and made it his own, a great actor, and yes Triv, under-rated!
    Trixter

Re: John Ritter

Gifted slapstick comedian who is sorely missed. I couldn't think of my childhood without "Three's Company" as a part of it.
    Andrés Segovia (1893-1987)

Cyber Brother of SouthernImage Sicilian Cyber Brother of Annette
    "Smelly Sticker" Cyber Brother of Punky Power

Cyber Brother of BlackOyster
    jen*'s "King Of The Shovel" Brother
    Completely awestruck by my incredible keriberri!!!

John was extremely underated! One of my favorite 3's Co. episodes was where he mixed dramamine and alcohol at a fancy island party!
    A few little known trivias about John:
    Early on he wanted to be a stuntman and actually trained for a time to be one. That's why he was so great at prat falls and all that physical comedy! It is also why he chose the name Hooperman for his TV series. It was a combination of term stuntman and the 1978 Burt Reynolds movie "Hooper about the lives of stuntmen. Also, in the movie "Skin Deep" he did all of his own stunts (as he did in everything he did) In the scene where he opens the door and a wave of water washes in and knocks him down it was filmed more than once. On one take the water washed him on the floor up against the base of a bar counter where he hit his head, injurying himself a little.
    After a bit, being the trooper John was said "I can still do it better"! Fearing for his star's safety director Blake Edwards said "NO!" If you watch this scene closely you can see and HEAR John hit his head! It is the take they ended up using!
    You will be very much missed John....You are still making us laugh
    Last edited by COOL BREEZE; 8-18-04 at 12:00 AM.
    "He knew then and there the friendship they had shared since youth had died a sudden and tragic death.Destroyed by the love of a woman"
    "There can't be a winner! If there isn't a river!
    "What are we waiting for? "Just a few indecent thoughts....okay!"

John Ritter is certainly missed Only 54 years old when he died

RIP

On the 1rst Anniversary of your death, RIP Mr. Ritter. Your genius in comedy made me laugh and smile on too many occasions to count and still speaks long after your departure. My sincerest condolenses to your Family & Friends.

John Ritter
    17 September 1948 - 11 September 2003
    Andrés Segovia (1893-1987)

Cyber Brother of SouthernImage Sicilian Cyber Brother of Annette
    "Smelly Sticker" Cyber Brother of Punky Power

Cyber Brother of BlackOyster
    jen*'s "King Of The Shovel" Brother
    Completely awestruck by my incredible keriberri!!!

His son Jason Ritter (who currently stars on the drama 'Joan of Arcadia') looks just like him.

I thought some of John's best work was in those 'Problem Child' movies. He played the kind of loving father that every kid wants

Lightbulb Re: John Ritter

It was so sad how John died on his daughters birthday.

I was never really a fan of his. I didn't like the Three's Company show part that he played and that ruined any chance of my being interested in his acting career. However, I know he was a good family man and I feel very badly for his family. I pray he rests in peace.

he's a great guy, and I still love him on "Three's Company".

Yes.....

Threes company is awesome

Movies i have seen from him

Problem Child
    Problem Child 2

Thread Information